2021 Summer Reading Program: Tails & Tales
We are now using Beanstack – a website and app that allows you to track your reading and participate in fun challenges year round.
If you don’t already have a Beanstack account sign up now! Don’t forget to download the Beanstack App to participate on the go!
Visit graftonlibrary.beanstack.com or download the Beanstack app.
To learn more about this summer’s badges:
- Login to Tails and Tales on Beanstack
- Check out our photo album to see an overview of activities you can do to complete each badge, as well as the physical tag you can earn by completing 3 of 5 badges of the same color.
Earn virtual tickets by completing challenges or logging your reading on Beanstack. Once you’ve earned tickets you can choose which prizes you would like to be entered to win.
Thanks to the Friends of the Grafton Public Library, we are giving away $25 gift cards to the following local businesses:
- Anzio’s Brick Oven Pizza
- Apple Tree Arts
- Beatz Dance Studio
- Bread Guy Breads
- Dance It Up!
- Fitzy’s Car & Pet Wash
- Grafton Country Store
- Grafton Grill & Crust
- Houlden Farm
- Hunter’s Grille & Tap
- Koopman Lumber & Hardware
- Lotus Nails
- Off the Common Antiques
- Pecorino Cheese
- Pepperoni Express
- Perreault Nursery
- Post Office Pub
- Pub 122
- Quite Fetching
- Reunion Tap & Table
- Stephanie’s Daily Grind
- Swirls & Scoops
- Truth Organic Spa
Additional prizes include:
- Free passes to Ultimate Obstacles
- Free passes to the Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park
- Free passes to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Free family admission to the Eric Carle Museum
- Tickets to the U.S.S. Constitution Museum
- Free Wax Hand Mold at Yankee Candle in South Deerfield
Programs and Take & Makes
Check out this photo album to see a preview of this year’s take and make kits and activity packets. Please check our event calendar for the latest information on pick up locations and times.
Page Turner Adventures
We’ve teamed up with Page Turner to bring you fun videos this summer. Each week, kids with join Page Turner and Kenny (plus a cast of kids) as they jump into the Once Upon a Time Machine in search of stories and adventure. Each week includes:
- Show Day: We present an original, interactive show that’s sure to engage kids.
- Craft Day: Simple, fun crafts that inspire creativity.
- Author/Illustrator Day: Short interviews with some of the best creators working in kidlit.
- Mashup Day: Recipes, games, bonus crafts, and other fun stuff that didn’t fit in the other days.
- Special Guest/Field Trip Day: We virtually visit some amazing places and people including mini-shows from other fantastic performers.
Videos will be available until September.
Login to Beanstack to earn virtual tickets for watching these videos!
Important: To access these videos login with User Name: graftonlibrary and Password: summer2021
- Show: Myrtle Over the Moon
- Craft: Cow Over the Moon Paper Plate Spinners
- Author: Tammi Sauer
- Mashup: Clucking Chicken Cups
- Guest: Kamal Bell from Sankofa Farms
- Show: The Ocean’s Got Talent
- Craft: “Printed” Ocean Scenes
- Author: Kate Messner
- Mashup: Coffee Filter Fish
- Guest Performer: Yasu Ishida
- Show: Such a Library!
- Craft: Pet Pop Up Books
- Author Donna Gephart and Illustrator Francesca Chessa
- Mashup: Pet Pal Open Face Sandwiches
- Guest: Jamie Katz, Pet Detective
- Show: The PAW-cademy Awards
- Craft: Celebrity Paw Prints
- Author/Illustrator: Pat Cummings
- Mashup: Pat Cummings reads her book Harvey Moon, Museum Boy
- Guest Performer: Wesley Williams’ Puppy Pals – Comedy Dog Show
- Show: The Sofa Safari Game Show
- Craft: Jungle Safari Flashlight Craft
- Illustrator: David DePasquale
- Mashup: Jim Hammond, puppet master from The Lion King
- Guest: Teachers of Nature
- Show: The Smallest Show on Earth!
- Craft: Climbing Spider Craft
- Author: Candace Fleming
- Mashup: Bug Bites Recipe
- Guest Performer: Bobby Norfolk
- Show: The Book From Outer Space
- Craft: Paper Plate Dinosaurs
- Illustrator: Raissa Figeruoa
- Mashup: Frozen Unicorn Horns
- Guest: Dustin Growick, the Dinosaur Whisperer
- Show: Everglades Adventure
- Craft: Snake Coils
- Directions/Supply List
- Author: Christina Soontornvat
- Mashup: Big Mouth Frog story and Origami Jumping Frog
- Guest Performer: Roger Day
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the summer program start?
- The program officially starts June 1. Each week from June 21 to August 28, new activity packets and make and take kits will be available for pick up (location and times TBD). The program ends September 4.
Why should I sign up for Beanstack?
- Beanstack is a website and app that allows you to track your reading and participate in fun reading challenges all year long including the summer reading program, winter reading program, 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten and more.
Do I need to create an account for each of my children with separate login information for each?
- No, Beanstack allows families to register together.
Do I have to log my reading to earn tickets?
- No, if you want to complete just the activity badges you can just complete those, but by logging your reading time you’ll earn additional tickets.
Do I have to complete activities to earn tickets?
- No, if you want to just log your time spent reading you can do just that, but by completing activity badges you’ll earn additional tickets.
What age group is the summer program for?
- All ages can participate from birth through 109 years (if you’re older than 109 you can lie about your age 😉
Do I have to go to the Grafton Public Library during the summer to participate in this program?
- No. Each year in the fall we start planning the next summer’s program. Due to changing COVID-19 guidelines and moving back into the expanded and renovated library, we have completely overhauled our summer program so that everyone can participate virtually. For more information on the library’s reopening – visit graftonlibrary.org or Facebook for the latest news.
Are you having any in-person programs this summer?
- There are no in-person programs for summer 2021 due to changing COVID-19 guidelines and our move back to Grafton Common. But we have a lot of things to keep you busy! We will have weekly kit and activity packets available from June 21 to August 28. Check out our event calendar for full details on what’s available each week, as well as pick up times and locations.
Are you having any live, virtual programs this summer?
- Yes! We are having various live, virtual programs including comic book workshops, craft classes, book clubs and more. Check out the event calendar for all the details.
When the library is closed for moving will there still be kits and activity pick ups?
- Yes! Check our event calendar and social media for the latest information on pick up times and locations each week.
I missed a kit. There were no kits when I came.
- To make it fair, we will distribute an equal number of kits each day of the week they are available. (For example if we have 60 kits, 10 will be available each day Monday-Saturday.) Any leftover kits will roll over to the next day or week. Once our stock of kits is gone, they are gone. Some kit patterns and directions will be available at graftonlibrary.org/felt or graftonlibrary.org/fold
I missed an activity packet. There were no activity packets when I came.
- We will do our best to make sure that we have activity sheets and packets available each day of the week they are available, depending on our access to a copier during our move. We will leave out any remaining activity packets until they are gone. If you missed a packet you can check Beanstack for a link to print from home or you can search on Scholastic Teachables to access it.
Why do I have to submit a photo to get the activity code?
- It’s hard not having in person programs and we want to see your creations! Feel free to send us in process photos or photos of completed activities. It’s up to you if any people are in the picture!
Will you have the Davis Farmland discount coupons available this year?
- Yes. Discount coupons will be available during the month of June only at our temporary location, 53 North Main Street, North Grafton. Stop in and let a staff member know that you would like to get one. Limit one coupon per child.
I’m a parent/caregiver and I read to/with my child or I helped them complete an activity or a watched a video with them. Can I log that for myself?
I’m having trouble. Can you help?
- Yes! Email us at email@example.com or reach out to us on social media and we will help you.
Sponsors: The 2021 MA Statewide Summer Reading Program is sponsored by:
- Grafton Public Library
- Friends of the Grafton Public Library
- Town of Grafton
- Grafton Cultural Council, an agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council
- Apple Tree Arts
- Willard House & Clock Museum
- Massachusetts Library System
- Boston Bruins
- Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC)
- Collaborative Library Summer Program (CLSP)