Teen Room Rules and Procedure
Teen Room Rules
- Earbuds or headphones must be used. No sound coming from electronic devices.
- Respectful language only. No profanity, disrespectful, or unsafe language.
- Remain in the Teen Room. No in and out.
- Noise must be kept at a conversational level.
- Clean up your area before leaving, throwing trash away.
- Verbal warning/strike
- Repeated warning — may be non-verbal
- You will be asked to leave library property within 2 minutes*
*Groups may be asked to leave if individual members of the group are not following the rules.
When You Can Return
If you are asked to leave for a minor violation, you may return the next day with a clean slate.
Repeated violations may result in a longer suspension from the library.
You will be asked to leave IMMEDIATELY if any of the following occurs:
- Picking up, hitting, kicking, chasing another person or taking another person’s property
- Entering a staff area, cabinets, or drawers without permission; misuse of supplies
- Unsafe or destructive behaviors such as vandalism or damage to equipment, furniture, walls, or other library property
- Disrespect to library staff
When You Can Return
If you are asked to leave immediately for unsafe or disrespectful behavior, you may return:
- 1st removal — the next day
- 2nd removal — one week
- 3rd removal — one month
A meeting with the Library Director or manager, and/or a parent meeting may be required to return.
If you return and are on Library property, the Grafton Police Department will be notified and you will be served with a No Trespass Order.
Teen Room Behavior Contract
Beginning 10/11/22, all teens requesting use of the teen room will be asked to sign the Teen Room Behavior Contract, which outlines the rules of the Teen Room and consequences for not following them. This will only need to be completed once and a note will be added on your library card account.
Teen Room Sign In Procedure (updated Friday October 14)
In order to ensure a safe, positive and inclusive space for all tween and teens we are limiting the number of patrons visiting the Teen Room to 22 people. Rooms further are limited by number of chairs (no more than 16 in the gaming room, 16 in the maker space, or 19 in perimeter seating at any one time). There is no congregating in ways that block doors or emergency exits, access to stacks, or life/safety equipment.
Visitors ages 13-17 must sign into the Teen Room to use the space, including the Gaming Room, Maker Space and open seating and browsing. Tutoring Rooms may be reserved on EK Rooms.
Name, grades, address, and phone/email are required to sign in.
Unattended Child Policy
Please note that all tweens and teens must also comply with the Library’s Unattended Child Policy:
- 0-7 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times;
- 8-12 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian remaining in the Library;
- 13+ may be unaccompanied, provided child is able to use Library independently and follow the Library’s Code of Conduct.