VACANCY: BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES
The Grafton Public Library Board of Library Trustees is seeking to appoint an interim candidate to their 7-member board to serve through the May 2020 election. Apply online at http://graftonmaboards.vt-s.net/boardview.php. You must be over 18, a registered voter, and a Grafton resident.
Trustee responsibilities include:
- Hire and evaluate the Library Director
- Monitor and evaluate the overall effectiveness of the library
- Set Library policy
- Review and adopt the annual budget (FY20: $858,751)
- Develop long-term Library plans (2021-2025 Strategic Planning begins in January 2020!)
- Advocate for the Library
- Communicate regularly with the Library Director
- Conduct the affairs of the Board at regularly scheduled meetings
Library boards of trustees carry out governing, policy, and planning activities to guide public libraries in communities throughout the country. In these turbulent times—when libraries face shrinking resources, demands for new technology services, and changing community expectations—trustees are much more than members of a traditional governing body. They are strategic leaders who serve as visionaries, community connectors, fundraisers, public voices, ambassadors, and persistent champions.
While library services are sometimes considered discretionary when it comes to allocating limited public funds, today’s library is an essential community resource that strengthens economic vitality, improves literacy, supports workforce development, and bridges the digital divide. As community leaders who understand the dimensions of modern library services, trustees can be the voice that shifts the library’s position among decision makers and funders from discretionary to essential.
Library familiarity is expected. Experience working with boards, fundraising, advocacy, and planning is desirable. Specifically, the Board seeks a candidate comfortable filling any of the following roles as defined and recommended by the MA Board of Library Commissioners:
- Visionary—crafting and supporting implementation of a long-term vision to strategically position the library throughout the community;
- Connector—expanding the library’s circle of influence in the community by building relationships and creating productive partnerships;
- Fundraiser—advocating for the library’s budget with financial decision makers and acting as a force for fundraising;
- Voice—being a visible, consistent, reliable, determined, and loud voice for the library in the community;
- Team Player—working together to strengthen the influence of the library board and ensure representative participation when board vacancies occur.
This is an elected office; due to a recent unexpected vacancy, this position must be appointed within 30 days by the Board of Library Trustees. If no suitable candidates are found, the Town of Grafton Board of Selectman may appoint a candidate to serve until the May Town election. The appointed candidate has the option to run for election in May against any other interested candidates.
The Library Board of Trustees meets on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm in the Municipal Center’s Room A. Meetings are recorded for later broadcast on GCTV Government Channel 34 (Verizon) or 191 (Charter). The time commitment is 4-6 hours per month.
For more about the Board of Library Trustees, please consider attending the next Board of Library Trustees meeting on Wednesday Dec 18, 2019, viewing past meetings online, reviewing minutes and agendas online, and visiting the MBLC guide for new trustees.
To apply for this vacancy, visit www.grafton-ma.gov/town-administrator/pages/boards-committees-information-center or go directly to http://graftonmaboards.vt-s.net/boardview.php.