The Children’s Room strives to be a fun place for children and families to learn and read together. We offer a wide variety of materials for learning and fun, including materials like books, media and games; toys like blocks, puzzles, puppets, and a play kitchen; and technology like computers.
We also offer programs and special events for kids up to and including age 12, such as:
- PAWSing to READ with therapy animals for kids in grades 1, 2, and 3
- First Fridays — music and movment with Mr. Kim from Appletree Arts — on the first Friday of each month, for children ages 2-5.
- Special events and hosted performers
Please note that due to our limited space, the Children’s Room will be CLOSED when programs are taking place. In winter months, if school is canceled, library programs are cancelled.
We offer the following databases for children:
- Kids InfoBits contains kid-friendly topics in eBooks, articles, video and audio format, at a grade K-4 reading level. Searching is more visual. It’s perfect for resources school reports!
- InfoTrac Jr. Edition contains reference materials, newspaper and magazine articles, encyclopedia articles and eBooks on student research topics. It’s ideal for grades 4-8.
- Encyclopedia Britannica’s Children’s Public Library and Elementary School interfaces offer guided searching on topics like animals and geography, and contains multimedia and articles at a K-4 grade level, while the Middle School interface for grades 5-8 has keyword searching and how-to help on writing research papers, book reviews, science reports and presentations.
- World Book Online offers articles on all kinds of topics as well as research help, science project ideas, biographies, current events, and interactive maps. World Book Online is for kids, the Info Finder is for older students, and the Reference Center is for teens. log in from outside the library–please enter library card barcode to access
- Mango Languages is an online language-learning system that can help you learn languages like Spanish, French, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Italian and more.
A parenting section full of helpful information can be found in the Adult non-fiction stacks.