Minimum Staff Requirement Policy
The Grafton Public Library is committed to providing sufficient staffing of the Library required to:
- Maintain a high level of quality of service to all patrons
- Protect the personal safety of all library patrons and all Grafton Public Library staff
The following Policies are adopted to support those objectives.
- A minimum of three (3) staff members should be present in the Library at all times. A staff member is defined as an employee who provides regular library services to patrons.
- In the event that the minimum staffing requirement is not met the following steps may be taken:
o If only two staff members are available, close the Children’s Room only, and continue providing service in the Main Reading room.
o Only if fewer than two staff members are available, close the Library.
- Other staff will be called in, if possible, and service will be curtailed or the Library closed only until such time as the required number of staff becomes available.
- While the Library is closed scheduled staff are to work at other tasks. Scheduled personnel hours and wages will not be affected and the hours of work will not be forfeited.
- Staff will communicate as quickly as possible to the Library Director and/or Board of Library Trustees Chairperson the circumstances necessitating the need to curtail or close the facility.
- When the Library, must be closed, notice will be posted on all patron entrances. This notice will contain the time of closing state the reason for closing and, if possible, anticipated time of reopening.
Adopted: December 4, 2009